Full Flap Stall (kts)
Cruise Speed (kts)
Empty Weight (kg)
The HORNET STOL is a fully enclosed roomy two seat aircraft designed to meet the toughest demands of professional or recreational flying. The HORNET STOL was designed and has been manufactured by a dedicated team at Australian Aircraft Kits since 2003 and has been in popular demand since.
At the first public debut of the HORNET STOL in 2004 at NATFLY its designer Ole Hartmann was awarded the title “Most Innovative Ultralight Design 2004” by the Australian Ultralight Federation (now Recreational Aviation Australia).
The HORNET STOL has become the most modern and unique full metal two seat bush plane designed and manufactured in Australia. It is widely used as an airborne utility vehicle for recreational and bush pilots.
The HORNET STOL has quickly proven ideal for mustering, prospecting, pipe line and fence inspections, hunting and fishing, bore runs and property management, aerial baiting etc. leaving many other aircraft types outclassed. The HORNET STOL is in a class of its own with respect to visibility, maneuverability, safety, easy STOL operation and docile handling, low operating/maintenance costs in combination with a long service life airframe.
The HORNET STOL is very agile STOL performer due to its good power to weight ratio, its high lift wing and large area control surfaces, high wing loading and exceptional rate of climb. Smooth, easy precise controls throughout its entire speed range of 30 ktn to 90 ktn make it a very positive, crisp and responsive aircraft willing to instantly follow control inputs precisely. The aircraft’s docility shows in being able to safely cross control it.
The firewall forward kits are available for the Hornet CUB / STOL are designed around the Rotax 912S 100 hp and 914 Turbo 115hp and the upcoming 915 Turbo 135hp.
The Hornet Kits are compliant with:
- Australian CASA / RAA AC 21-10(2.1) experimental / armature build categories meeting the 49/51% ruling and are structurally designed to comply with FAR 23 requirements.
- USA FAA experimental / armature build categories meeting the 49/51% ruling and are structurally designed to comply with FAR 23 requirements.
- UK CAA, CAP 1220 and LAA ruling TL1.07 & TL1.08 and are structurally designed to comply with FAR 23 requirements.
Be sure to view the full Hornet Gallery here.
- KEY POINTS FOR THE OPERATOR:
- Safe, versatile and easy to fly utility light aircraft
- Low acquisition costs
- Low operating costs
- Low maintenance costs on airframe and all systems
- Local manufacturer, providing parts and services
- Can be piloted by RAA or GA –VH license holder
- Superior service, fast and reliable technical support Australia wide.
- KEY POINTS FOR THE PILOT AND PASSENGER:
- Agile performing aircraft with 100 hp – 150hp motorization
- Crisp and delightful easy controls for long hours in the cockpit
- Roomy two seat side by side (or tandem) cockpit with outstanding visibility and ergonomics
- Docile and forgiving flight handling matched with highly responsive and effective controls ideal for mustering operations and property management
- Excellent S T O L performance
- Extra large cargo area with access door
- Integrated chrome-molly steel cage for strength and safety
- Airframe and controls designed for minimum maintenance requirements
- Full metal airframe using certified materials acquired and manufactured in Australia
- Rugged undercarriage for operation from rough terrain with wheel sizes available from 8”x 6”standard up to 29” x 6” low pressure with heavy- duty brakes systems (snow skis also available)
- Removable doors, for flying in hot conditions
- Hard points for external cargo, wings and fuselage (see pictures)
- External and internal long range tanks (see specifications).
- Additional equipment seeder tanks & spreaders, fence-post carrier compartments, auxiliary refueling pump systems, mustering sirens and wailers, GPS tracking, Helmets and safety gear etc. are also available.
- Rotax 914
- Top Speed (TAS at sea level) With Trailing Link U/C & 8.50 x 6.00 tires 95 kts.
- Cruise Speed (TAS) 75% power at 5,000 ft. 85 kts.
- Stall Speed (at max. gross)
- No flaps (Vs) 34 kts.
- Full flaps (Vso) 29 kts.
- Rate of Climb
- Solo 1200 f.p.m.
- Max. gross 900 f.p.m.
- Range (at 75% power)*** ( 127 liters fuel) 470+ nm
- Range Standard Fuel excl. VFR Reserve nm
- Fuel Consumption (at 75% power) Rotax 914 +/- 4 23 l/ph
- Service Ceiling (estimated) 14500 ft.
- Take off Distance (Clear 50’ obstacle)
- Solo 150 m
- MTOW 200 m
- Landing Distance (Clear 50’ obstacle)
- Solo 140 m
- MTOW 190 m
- Fuselage Length
- Rotax 914 engine (rigged for flight) 6.3 m
- Wing Data
- Wing Span Rigged for flight 9.8m
- Area 13.7 sq.m
- Wing loading (at max. gross) 43.7 kg/sq.m
- Structural limit loads (at max. gross) + 6 /-3 Gs
- Maximum Height
- Taildragger 2.4 mtrs
- Cabin Dimensions
- Width (at hips) 110 cm
- Width (at shoulders) 110 cm
- Door width 83 cm
- Door height 72 cm
- Baggage space / Rear passenger area 0.85 cu/m
- Rear door width 70 cm
- Rear door height 70 cm
- Maximum gross weight (on wheels) RAA Aus LSA Limits 600 kg
- Empty weight (based on standard version) 360 kg
- Useful load (based on standard version) 240 kg
- Maximum baggage capacity 35 kg
- Full fuel payload 2X60L+7L 91.4 kg
- Standard Main Wheel 8.50 x 6.00 with 11”Bush Tail Wheel
- Fuel Capacity (usable)
- Standard 60 litre tanks 60 / 60 ltrs
All aircraft or kits can be shipped worldwide on request. Shipping to West Coast USA for a plane cost $3500 AUD. Shipping for a kit to West Coast USA costs $1800 AUD. 10% GST applies to all sales within Australia. GST does not apply to exports.
Kit Starts From (AUD)
Hangar 13 Airport Drive Taree NSW 2430 Australia Phone +61 2 6553 8100